Is it possible to grow your teams and the overall health of your congregation during what most church leaders call the “summer slump?” YES!
God set the world up so that most healthy things grow during the summer season.
Where do you begin?
You have to talk about, plan for and provide practical solutions.
This starts around the leadership table and doesn’t end until it is promoted from the weekend worship and preaching platform to all of your social media outlets.
How can you strategically lead your ministry teams during the months when most people, including your team members/volunteers, are tempted to “check out?”
Consider leading a 5R Strategy with your staff & lead teams.
Check out the 5R Strategy posts on this site that offer a plan you can tailor for your teams to Rest, Review, Recruit, Retrain and then Relaunch! Start here – https://peakpastors.blog/2019/04/22/take-a-break/
Who do you talk to?
Like most strategic initiatives, you start with your staff, then engage your lead teams and then your congregation.
If it’s important, it should have both input and buy-in at all levels from start to finish.
Who knows how many creative ideas and willing people are just waiting to get on board! Great leaders are great gatherers of great people!
What should you be talking about?
Here are 5 Summer Subjects to address…
Our Need to Get Away! This is all about rest.
Lead the way in encouraging rest for your staff, teams/volunteers and members. Cultivate a culture that values the health of it’s people beginning with seasons of much deserved rest. Find out more in these posts – https://peakpastors.blog/2019/04/22/take-a-break/ and https://peakpastors.blog/2019/05/14/5r-rest/
Our Need to Gather! This is all about fellowship.
Lead the way in encouraging people to keep gathering when they aren’t enjoying their vacation or weekend get-a-way. Be creative in providing opportunities for this not only in your main weekend worship experiences, but at other times for just getting together for fun and fellowship. Cookouts and/or tailgate parties never go out of style and can be done by churches large and small!
Our Need to Grow! This is all about spiritual growth.
Lead the way in encouraging people to continue in personal and family spiritual growth.
You need to come right out and say it, “We don’t need a vacation from growing in Jesus.”
Start at the most basic place. Talk about having a daily time reading God’s Word and praying and how fundamental this is to us as followers of Jesus. Share from your heart what this has meant to you and/or have others share what it has meant in their lives and families.
Don’t “pound the pulpit” about it. Instead, talk in simple terms and transparent ways about our temptation to do this over the summer. Then, provide some practical ways to grow in a personal/family devotional life.
Here are a few reminders you can give and resources you can offer:
- Download the YouVersion Bible App and follow a personal daily reading plan. Offer plans for groups and/or as a congregation. https://www.youversion.com/
- Provide a subscription to RightNow Media. This resource provides an amazing amount of video teachings, messages, conferences, and entertaining choices for all ages! https://www.rightnowmedia.org/
Our Need to Give! This is all about stewardship.
Lead the way in encouraging people to stay out of debt personally and as a family over the summer.
Start with caring about their personal finances and debt so they know you truly care about them, not just what they can give! Then, lead the way in encouraging everyone to continue (or start) tithing and giving.
Here are a few suggestions for your staff/lead teams and resources you can offer:
- Plan for a Fall sermon series on stewardship… on debt, saving, tithing, sacrificial living and giving. Heres one to get you started – https://open.life.church/resources/2749-making-change and https://www.life.church/giving/
- Start a small group that walks people through Financial Peace University – https://www.daveramsey.com/get-started?snid=start
- Check out the Biblical Finance Library at https://www.rightnowmedia.org/ YOU HAVE GOT TO CHECK OUT THIS RESOURCE FOR YOUR CONGREGATION!
Our Need to GO! This is all about serving.
Lead the way in serving others, starting in your local community. Provide opportunities to serve as a staff, lead teams, small groups or as a congregation.
Here are some great examples!
- Landscaping: Gather groups to spruce up the landscaping at Foster Care family and group homes.
- Provide childcare at your church to Foster Parents to have a “date night.”
- Clean up a local park, recreation area, beach or other public space.
- Host a block party for those in your immediate neighborhood.
- Read and/or sing at a local nursing home or extended care facility.
- Volunteer at a local homeless shelter.
- Host a “back to school” supply drive to help parents with the expenses of school supplies. (Check out local school supply lists usually provided)
- Go old-school with a free car wash hosted by your youth and/or young adults!
Summer Break is an annual reality. Going through the “Summer Slump” doesn’t have to be!
Email us at email@example.com and let’s talk about what a coaching partnership could mean for your health and growth as a pastor, lead team and congregation!